How skipping rope exercise can benefit your brain, body, and wallet!
When we tend to think of workouts that give or bodies the biggest benefits, we tend to think big and complicated! Running on the treadmill either requires a costly gym membership or a big investment in exercise equipment. The latest trendy workouts classes can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars per year to take. Even something as seemingly simple as yoga can get quite pricey when you factor in the classes, clothes, and equipment you might need. But in reality, skipping rope exercise can be one of the simplest, cheapest and most fun workouts you’ll ever try!
Skipping rope exercise as a workout might seem overly simple at first, but there really are so many ways to mix up your workout and make it new every time you pick up your rope. In fact, there are so many things you can do with a jump rope, we guarantee you’ll never be bored! Here are just a few of the creative and fun (not to mention calorie-torching and muscle building!) ideas for your next workout:
- Just jump! It doesn’t have to be complicated! If you don’t feel particularly motivated, turn on your favorite playlist, and jump. Chances are after a few minutes you’ll be really into it.
- Walk it out Not feeling up to a sweaty workout? Or maybe your knees can’t take the skipping rope exercise just yet. That’s alright – you can walk! Just turn your rope slowly, while stepping over it to get a nice power walk indoors. You can even put a walking path simulation on your TV!
- Add in Circuits. If you really want to blast calories and get seriously toned with skipping rope exercise, then circuits are the way to go. Start off by jumping rope for 2-3 minutes, then do 1-2 minutes of toning exercises in-between. You can use weights, or just use your body weight with exercises like pushups and planks. Just doing a half-hour of a workout like this can burn over 300 calories!
- Get Fancy! If you’re feeling up to a major cardio challenge with skipping rope exercise, then you can learn some fun new steps to add into your workout! A simple online search will give you a plethora of ideas, but this is a simple one to start with: Jump over the rope as you normally would, but as prepare for the next jump, put one of your heels onto the floor in front of you while lifting up your toes and jump over like that. Next, switch feet and jump over the rope with your other heel forward. Continue to alternate.
- Take it outside If you’re feeling like a fun, new outdoor workout, skipping rope exercise fits the bill here too! Just grab your rope and get moving. You can jump down the street, swirl your rope to the side while you jump, or even tie two ropes to a tree and use them like arm ropes for an upper body workout. Just simply walking down the street and twirling your jump rope with your arm can add in some extra calorie burning and toning to your walk.
As you can see, the few bucks you’ll invest in a jump rope can be really worth it! But the benefits don’t end there. Although skipping rope exercise can seem like a very basic workout, it can give your body so many other benefits than just burning calories. Below is a breakdown of all the incredibly healthy extras your body will receive when you start skipping rope a few times per week.
- You’ll be super coordinated Have you ever felt really clumsy when trying to do almost anything? Skipping rope exercise can help with brain-body coordination in so many ways. The simple action of jumping rope makes your brain and body work together (especially if you add trickier moves!), so you’ll find you have better balance and an easier time doing almost any other workout.
- You’ll be speedy! Although you’re just staying in one spot while doing your skipping rope exercise, you’ll be teaching your body to make better use of oxygen while you’re doing it. This means you’ll get a nice surprise when you run, sprint or do anything else active – it will seem a lot simpler than it used to!
- You’ll sleep, concentrate and focus better Just like with coordination, skipping rope exercise benefits your brain in many areas. You’ll find yourself falling asleep easier, which in turn helps your brain focus better on whatever you have to do.
- You’ll be happier We’ve all heard of the benefits of workouts when it comes to improving your moods, and skipping rope exercise is no different! Just adding in two or three jump rope workouts per week can help you have a sunnier outlook every day.
Skipping rope exercise sounding a little more promising now? We should hope so! For a few dollars, you can get a quality jump rope and that’s will be all you’ll need to feel great, look great and even do better in school, work and family life. Still, need more convincing? Here are a few more great reasons to pick up a rope and jump in:
- Calorie Burn Jumping rope can burn 10 to 16 calories every minute! That means even when you’re just beginning with a low-impact jump you’ll see results quickly.
- Toning Jumping will not only give you amazing looking legs, but turning the rope will tone your arms, and coordinating the arm and leg action will tone your abs too! It’s really a total body workout.
- Heart Health Interval training – mixing bouts of intense jumping with bouts of slower jumps or walking – is a major heart health booster. This type of exercise has been shown to even help reopen clogged arteries and reverse early stage heart disease.
- Fun! Jumping rope really is just a fun way to work out! And with so many videos and ideas out there about how to jump rope, and fun things to do with your jump rope, your workout will seem less like a chore and something you really look forward to.
Skipping rope exercise as a workout can be fun, super effective and easy on the wallet. So if you’re looking to begin working out without a big investment, or just looking for a fun new workout to add into your existing ones, why not give it a whirl! You’ll feel great, look amazing and never have a dull workout again!