A Jump rope workout might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about getting in a great workout, but don’t pass the rope up! This deceptively simple piece of exercise equipment might just be the best workout tool you’ve ever tried. In fact, skipping rope benefits not only your weight loss goals, workout goals, and endurance – it has a ton of other hidden benefits too. Try it out and you might never look at another piece of exercise equipment again!
Skipping rope benefits reach well beyond the calorie burn (although that is a huge benefit!) Just take a look at everything a simple jump rope can help you improve
- You’ll burn major calories Skipping rope benefits weight loss. Jumping rope burns anywhere from 10-15 calories per minute! That means that even jumping at a slow pace for ten minutes will burn off an extra 100 calories. Do that every day for one year and you’ll shed 10 pounds!
- You’ll tone every inch Skipping rope benefits your muscle tone. Although toning your legs might be the first thing that comes to mine, skipping rope benefits your entire body! Keeping your upper body steady while jumping tones your abs and core, turning the rope strengthens your arms, and of course, your legs will look amazing!
- You’ll be faster Skipping rope benefits how fast you can move. When you’re jumping rope, you do only stay in one place most of the time. But the strength required to get through all of that jumping will make you faster in your other workouts too!
- You’ll have super endurance Skipping rope benefits how long you can go. Building up the endurance to jump for a few minutes straight takes some hard work, but once you get there you’ll find that every other activity you do during the day will seem a lot easier! You’ll even feel less tired during the day and skip that dreaded afternoon slump, all because with every jump you’re building your endurance.
- Your heart will heart you Skipping rope benefits how well your ticker ticks. Quick bursts of intense activity have been proven to be the most effective workouts to strengthen the heart. Besides sprinting, jumping rope is one of the best ways to do that!
- You’ll be focused, coordinated & alert Skipping rope benefits your brain, too! Coordinating your movements helps your brain build a better connection to your body, increasing your coordination and balance. Focusing on those moves also helps build concentration and alertness.
Have we convinced you that the skipping rope benefits are enough reason to give the workout a try? Great! The good news is that all you’ll need is your jump rope. Other than that, here are some tips to get you started
- To get into the right position to start jumping – and minimize the possibility of injury – start by standing straight with your shoulders down and back. Be sure when you’re jumping that your shoulders don’t come up to your ears.
- Keep your knees soft. You don’t need to bend them very far, but don’t straighten them when you jump in the air. Land with your knees loose.
- Jump off of and land on the balls of your feet. Landing on your heels can cause injuries to your ankles and shins.
- Start out by jumping slow and coordinate yourself.Be sure you can jump the rope without tripping and practice until you can. Even the practice will give you the skipping rope benefits we mentioned!
Now that you know the basics, it’s time to start really working out and getting those skipping rope benefits. Here are a few ways you can build up to a great workout!
- Jumping a few minutes straight at first will be difficult. Begin by walking and jogging in place for 2 minutes, then jumping for 30 seconds to one minute. Slowly add 30 seconds to one minute to your jumping tie every week. Once you can jump a few minutes straight you can choose to get rid of the walking in-between.
- Learn some moves! Figure eights, the shuffle, ski jumps and front-back jumps are just a few fun moves you can add to your skip rope workout.
- Skipping rope benefits can be increased by using interval workouts in your routine. Add in bursts of super fast jumps, footwork tricks and jogging with the rope to burn even more calories and shape up quicker.
- Adding strength circuits to your jump rope workout will add to your skipping rope benefits too. Between each minute or two of jumping, add in a move. Push-ups, crunches, planks, lunges, squats – there are a ton of bodyweight moves you can try. Or you can add in some light weights.
- If you like to run or jog outside, bring your rope with you! Just run as you usually would, but jump over the rope while you do. That way you can add the amazing skipping rope benefits of calorie burn and toning to your runs!
- Short on time? Jumping rope is one of the best workouts you could choose! Jump rope five minutes in the morning, and five minutes in the evening. Or, jump rope every time a commercial comes on during your TV shows. The minutes really add up and you don’t need to rearrange your life to work out.
As you can see, skipping rope benefits aren’t only great, they’re easy to achieve too! You don’t need a lot of time, money, or space. You don’t have to be in great shape to start, and you don’t need a trainer to show you how to do it. You can even add in skipping rope benefits to your regular workout routine by adding a few minutes before and after, or by adding some intervals in between sets of exercises. Skipping rope benefits will give your heart, mind, and body a boost – now that’s a total body workout!