Many people when think of jump rope workout, the first thing that comes to their minds is a bunch of kids struggling with a skipping rope in a PE class. Well its benefits are far greater than some kids having fun. Jump rope is one of the best cardiovascular exercises, included by boxers, mixed martial artists and professional fighters in their fitness regime. It increases your muscle coordination and toning as well as adds strength and quickness to your moves.
Apart from being inexpensive and easy to learn, it is a great high-intensity workout which can be performed by everyone easily including women. Being a working woman or a housewife is equally challenging. You struggle all the time in finding some time for yourself to get in shape and stay active. In your busy schedule, jump rope is the perfect workout for you to shed some extra pounds. The best thing is that you don’t need to go to the gym or buy expensive equipment. All you need is a jump rope and some open place (an appropriate size room will work just fine) to start your jump rope workout at your home.
There a great number of jump rope workout combinations available according to your strength and stamina. If you are a beginner, probably a mother looking to regain your shape before marriage, then all you need is to work on is how to be consistent. Focus on techniques to improve your consistency first, then go for advanced level workouts.
The basic technique of jump rope to follow is:
- Jump 1 to 2 inches off floor, giving rope just enough space to slip under feet — only the balls of feet should touch the floor. Land on your knees softly.
- Keep elbows close to sides as you turn the rope. The movement comes from the wrists and forearms, not the shoulders and elbows.
- If you become exhausted before you finish the workout, drop the rope, but keep arms and legs going. Work up to using the rope full-time.
- To find a rope that fits, place one foot in the center of the rope and lift the handles — they shouldn’t go past your shoulders.
Here is a 15-minute jump rope workout that you can modify according to your own liking.
- Stand in front of a clock or timer of some sort. Do not jump on a hard surface such as tiles and concrete. Use some exercise mat if you don’t have carpeted floor. Always wear sneakers and clothes that do not bother you while working out.
- Jump Rope for 3 minutes to warm up
- Rest for 30 seconds
- Jump rope as quickly as possible for 60 seconds
- Rest for 30 seconds. Do as many crunches you can for 1min.
- Jump Rope as quickly as possible for 60 seconds
- Rest for 30 seconds. For 1 min do as many push-ups as you can.
- Repeat this alternating pattern for 15-20 minutes
Substitute these exercises with any other you want. You can add squats or lunges for more leg work. You can alternate crunches with sit-ups. Do upper body exercises, lift light weights during that one minute. This jump rope workout can be customized for any body type and shows great results if followed through consistency. Just keep doing it unless your pace and rhythm are set.